23 May 2010

HIRED!

Well a few wonderful things have happened since the last time I wrote.

1. I GOT A JOB! I applied earlier this year to work for the Spanish government as an English teacher in Spain. I was worried that I wouldn't get it because my recommendation was in really late, but I did! I will be working from late-September to May of next year in Andalucía. I loved Andalucía when I was there, especially Granada, and i'm really excited to go back. Of course i'm nervous about moving to a foreign country alone, but I have friends all over Europe to keep me company (hint: come visit!)

2. Since I was about 15, I have been listening to The Strokes. Basically, i'm obsessed with them. I have also loved Julain Casablancas for as long, even saw his concerts in Paris and Boston this past year. Needless to say that when I saw him on the street in front of the Strand bookstore I couldn't breathe. Cheesy and lame as it sounds, it's the truth.

3. Thanks to my good friend Simone, and her amazing friends from Brooklyn College, I have finally experienced the wonder that is Prospect Park. It's beautiful and peaceful, with less pretension than Central Park. Spent a sunny Saturday in the park yesterday doing nothing and having a wonderful time.

Finally, I've started reading "The Blue Sweater" by Jacqueline Novogratz. It seems that 90% of what I read these days is about getting people out of poverty. Not a bad subject considering it's what I want to do with my life. Ms. Novogratz started the Acumen Fund, and incredible organization that invests in enterprises as a means of helping people get out of the poverty trap. (Edit: I didn't explain that very well, just check out their website!)

You can also check out her TED talk (I'm addicted to TED talks)


Off I go to find a summer job so I can actually afford to live in Europe!

No comments:

Post a Comment